Ministries of the Sisters of St. Dominic of Amityville
Since their arrival in 1853, the Sisters of St. Dominic have cared for the most vulnerable in our society. The first sisters taught immigrant children and started many parish schools. The sisters also built St. Catherine Hospital and Nursing School in Brooklyn (1869-1965) and Mary Immaculate Hospital in Jamaica (1902-2009), as well as St. Joseph’s Sanatorium in Monticello (1896-1970) for patients with tuberculosis. The congregation also founded Nazareth Trade School for Boys (1900-1942) and St. Rose Industrial School for Girls in Melville (1906-1942) for orphans. Many young people were educated in schools the sisters founded including Molloy University in Rockville Centre (1955), St. Agnes Academic High School in College Point (1908-2021), Dominican Commercial High School in Jamaica, Queens (1936-1988) and Queen of the Rosary Academy (1876 -1986). While many sisters served as teachers and administrators in schools, they also served as religious education leaders, parish outreach coordinators, nurses, youth leaders, preachers, artists, spiritual directors, protesters, campus ministers, retreat leaders, missionaries and counselors. Through their ministries, they have advocated for immigrants, seniors, young people, Latin American communities, refugees, the developmentally disabled, the homeless, the addicted, the incarcerated, and for Mother Earth herself. Currently, the congregation has three sponsored ministries including: The Opening Word Program, Homecoming Farm, and Dominican Village.
Scroll down for videos about the ministries of the Sisters.